The Devil's Conduit was moved to New River Head in 1927. During demolition work for an extension to the Imperial Hotel, Russell Square, in 1911–13, the conduit head was rescued by Charles FitzRoy Doll, the hotel's architect.
Formerly at the north end of the Square where the Imperial Hotel is now, the Devil's Conduit comprised upper and lower chambers, the latter barrel-vaulted and ashlar-lined. It was constructed in the fourteenth century as the conduit head or tank at the upper end of the pipes that supplied water to the Greyfriars monastery (later Christ's Hospital) on Newgate Street. See http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=119441
12 / 84