The first building housing the National Hospital 1860-1866
The National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic (as it was first called) admitted its first patients in 1860, providing active treatment to those who could not afford private treatment. This was the first neurological hospital established in the world, and one of 44 specialist hospitals opened in London between 1840 and 1880. The Hospital proved so popular that in 1866 the charity was able to buy the house next door (then number 23) and expand from 10 to 60 beds.
4 / 11