One of the first of these medical institutions was the National Hospital. Johanna and Louisa Chandler had recognised the lack of provision for epilepsy and chronic neurological conditions, who were not admitted to general hospitals. They fundraised, and wrote to the Lord Mayor of London, David Wire, for support. He organised a fundraising dinner in Mansion House in 1859, followed by a public appeal. The funds raised allowed for the conversion of a house in Queen Square (number 24) into a Hospital. The portrait of Johanna Chandler is on display in Queen Square Library, along with shell ornaments the Chandler sisters made and sold to raise funds. We also hold the original correspondence with the Lord Mayor. Louisa died in 1859, and is commemorated in a stained glass window on the stairs of the Hospital. Johanna Chandler continued to work to raise funds for the Hospital and its patients, right up until her death in 1875, including setting up the Ladies Samaritan Society. A wing of the Hospital is named after the sisters.
3 / 11