Queen Square gardens 1810
By 1810 the gardens had been laid out, as shown in this print, with Queen Square House and its striking portico. The church spire can also be seen in the top right corner. By 1850, the Square consisted entirely of 4-5 storey Georgian houses. From 1850 onwards an extraordinary change occurred in the Square: the domestic residential nature was replaced by the establishment of a procession of educational and medical institutions. By 1880, 60% of Queen Square was occupied by medical and educational institutions. A framed version of the print is in Queen Square Archives, and postcards are available for sale in Queen Square Library.
2 / 11